Saturday, January 17, 2009

Poking my head up

Not sure where to start. I've been out of commission for a while, and will be for a while longer. Long story short, I got sick with some kind of massive strep infection that landed me in the hospital for ten days. I had pneumonia, I was septic, my vital signs were all over the place, and there were doctor's and nurses running all around me with very serious looks on their faces. Like on TV. I'm home now, but some part of this infection has made its home in my right knee which is swollen like a pumpkin, and I can't walk without a walker. That's right, a walker. I'm the youngest 85 year-old woman you've ever seen. I'm tired, I'm winded, and although I was trying to keep mental notes of all the funny things that happened in the hospital so I could share the lighter side of my near-death experience, they will have to wait. Thanks to all my friends for all their support, it means the world to me to know I have such dear friends and such a great community.
I'll be back soon, and I'll tell you all about my foley catheter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I knew something was up, but I didn't realize it was so bad. I know of a woman who died of a quick infection like that. So glad you are okay.

Anonymous said...

We're happy all is ok with you -let us know if you need anything!

-Eric & Kelly

Lisa said...

Hospital for ten days!! Sounds very serious. Glad to hear you are home. Sending lots of warm thoughts from Sweden!
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Mon!
Geez, you were feeling so ill and here I was pouting over the too few blog posts. As you recover speedily I hope, I will in the corner whimpering for you next post.